The AASC program was developed by the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) in response to societal trends influencing children’s sport participation, including:
- the decline of physical education and sport in Australian schools;
- reduced opportunities for families to support out of school activities;
- less opportunities for children to be physically active in the home due to families being concerned about children playing unsupervised.
The program provided primary school children with access to free sport and structured physical activity programs in the hours directly after school. The program was delivered either at a primary school or an out of school hours care service (OSHCS).
- Enhance the physical activity levels of primary school-aged children through a nationally coordinated program.
- Provide increased opportunities for inclusive participation in quality, safe and fun sport and other structured physical activity through the AASC program.
- Stimulate local community involvement in sport and other structured physical activity.