Over the past 20 years, participation in sport-related activities has remained relatively stable, although Australians are also increasingly participating in convenient non-sport related activities such as walking and going to the gym. 1
- 50% Male [15+]
- 32% Female [15+]
- 61% Young adults [15-19]
- 31% Older Australians [55+]
- 24% Australians with disability [18+]
- 32% First Nations Australians [18+]
- 38% Speak a language other than English (LOTE) at home [18+]
- 47% Boys [0-14]
- 46% Girls [0-14]
sector at least once a year.
Physical health and fitness is the strongest motivator for Australians 15+ to participate in sport and physical activity.
- Participating in sport and physical activity for social, psychological, and mental health reasons has increased over the past 5 years.
The main barrier to participating in sport or physical activity for Australians 15+ is due to poor health/injury.
- The common barrier of 'not having enough time or too many other commitments' has declined over the past 5 years.
Children [0-14] are more likely to participate in organised outside-of-school hours sport and physical activities if:
- a parent participates in sports or physical activity
- they come from a high-income family
- they have 1 or 2 siblings.
Children [0-14] are less likely to participate in organised outside-of-school hours sport and physical activities if:
- they come from a low-income family
- they live in a remote or regional area
- a parent speaks a Language Other Than English (LOTE) at home
- they have 3 or more siblings.
In 2022, the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) was the most active state/territory, with 49% of adults and children participating in sport-related activities at least once a week.
Northern Territory (NT), South Australia (SA), and Western Australia (WA) had the most involvement in sport through a non-playing role.
- Running/athletics is the most popular sport-related activity for males [15+].
- Swimming is the most popular for females [15+] and boys and girls [0-14].
- AusPlay report: Participation trends in Australian since 2001, Australian Sports Commission, (accessed 28 November 2022).
- AusPlay Data Portal, Australian Sports Commission, (accessed 20 July 2023).
- AusPlay report: Children’s participation in organised physical activity outside of school hours, Australian Sports Commission, (April 2018).
Learn about sport participation in Australia.
Explore our extensive range of information resources relating to sport.