Elite athletes and teams work to optimise technical and human performance, but high-performance sport also impacts how individuals feel about sport and us as a nation.
- has a positive impact on communities
- brings communites together
- develops community cohesion.
- watching sport on TV or live
- an Australian athlete being a good role model
- Australians succeeding internationally
- seeing or hearing about Olympic, Paralympic, or Commonwealth Games sports or athletes.
- AusPlay focus: Australians' participation in Olympic and Paralympic sports, Australian Sports Commission, (May 2021).
- Community Perceptions Monitor (CPM) Summary Report: Impact of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games on the Australian community, Australian Sports Commission, (October 2021)
- Community Perceptions Monitor Annual Report 2022-2023, Australian Sports Commission, (September 2023).
- The trickle-down effect: what population groups benefit from hosting major sports events? Pamela Wicker & Popi Sotiriadou, International Journal of Event Management Research, Volume 8(2), (2013).
- The inspirational effects of three major sport events, Girish Ramchandani, Richard Coleman, International Journal of Event and Festival Management, Volume 3(3), pp.257-271, (2012).
- Intergenerational Review of Australian Sport, BCG Consulting for the Australian Sports Commission, (2017).
- AusPlay dataset, Australian Sports Commission, (accessed 25 July 2023).
Discover more about high performance sport.
Explore our extensive range of information resources relating to sport.